Why do married men live longer?

Posted: April 4, 2013 in Evolution, Relationships
Tags: ,

The point that married men on average live longer than their unmarried counterpart has been brought out multiple times as an argument for two different things firstly people who are pro marriage and think that the point that men are more and more opting out of institution is a bad thing and secondly as an argument pro feminism (i.e. men are stupid and need women). I think this is an interesting phenomenon and have my own theory on it.

Firstly let men clarify what I believe to be the generally accepted explanation.

Women look after their man.

I believe the generally accepted concept is that a man without a women to keep him on the straight and narrow will drink too much, eat junk food, never get any exercise, probable start smoking weed, then crack and so on. The concept being that a woman in a man life will nag him to healthiness, cook him healthy meals, keep him from going to the bar every night. I doubt this is true, just the figures suggesting that after marriage both men and women start to put on weight suggest to me that whatever benefit women bring in cleaning up their lifestyle they add in general nagging stress and pressure to earn more at work, direct or indirect.

Here is my hypothesis:

Men who get married have a reason to live.

So this is a complicated one but hear me out. There is a fundamental difference in way women and men value themselves. Women are born and taught to have an inherent basic value, as the bottleneck of reproduction women are inherently more valuable than men. They are more valued without having to do anything. Women need to know this on a base animal level. So at the point that a ship goes down they have to be willing to jump in the lifeboat and leave their husbands to die. For the survival and success of our species on base level we have needed socially and biologically to value women more than men. This is why men have always been the primary people going to war, in a generation you could lose 90% of you men and the 10% left could impregnate the women and couple of generations later your population would be thriving. Lose 90% of you women and that tribe is probable never going to recover.

So where women have an inherent value, men value themselves by what they do.  They value themselves based on your jobs, their role as a father as a husband. A man who is married is much more likely to feel in his later year that he has a purpose to live. That he need to continue to look after his wife or take care of grandchildren. A married man automatically has some default role to fill.

It’s common for a man to die shortly after retirement, this I believe is connected to a man loss of the positive self-image he derived from his job. He had a purpose he had a reason to live.

With the MGTOW movement and the grass eating males of Japan, I think this is going to be the biggest challenge that they face. If you want to live longer without getting married then you need to get a positive self-image from somewhere else, be it a cause that is bigger than you.

About these ads
Comments
  1. Loved this.
    Continued success.
    Jennifer

2. Socialkenny says:

Where do you get this info or studies as far as who live longer? I don’t doubt you but just curious or is it just assumptions.

You do make a good point as to being married means you’ll be taken care of as a man (nutritionally, etc.). That plays a major part.

3. thebody@ says:

Interdasting. My grandfather died shortly after retirement.
    So many wives treat their men badly

4. fluentin9months says:

I don’t know, I still don’t understand the whole appeal of monogamy and “love” (whatever that is), I want a lot of women, and even if I live a few years less because of it, I will have lived a happier life.

In addition, my father is a chef so I know how to cook better than any girl I’ve ever met, and I dance and do taekwondo to keep myself fit, to attract girls. I feel like the whole monogamy thing makes you lazy and complacent, but constantly getting new women keeps you alive, fresh, working your hardest.

5. It depends on the individual male. If he has something to live for and a purpose, then he will live a long single life. The reason I feel that married men live longer is because they have a reason in their life and that is their wife and family.

6. Jennifer says:

I see your point and it’s a good one, but why would there be a difference between women and men in this case? I can’t quote exactly but I believe the statistics show that married men live longer than single men, but married women don’t live longer than single women. Wouldn’t marriage and having kids give women more of a reason to live too? The idea of women having a sense of their own inherent value doesn’t hold up after they are 50 and no longer able to breed.

• Okay Jennifer, this is the theory. Women as creatures and in the eyes of society have inherent value. As the bottleneck to evolution we have always looked to protect women and have taught women to value themselves.

In the case for example of a sinking ship, it has always been women and children first. Women have needed to be take care of themselves over men in order for our species to survive and be successful. To counter balance this men have needed to be disposable, we have had to be willing to let men die. This is very evident in the massive empathy gap between men and women.

Men have no intrinsic value, they are valuable for what they do and men on a very core level know this. So when a man loses his purpose he is more likely to kill himself, or just lose the will to live. A woman will consider herself valuable and important even without an external role / purpose.

7. Sam S says:

Who comes up with these statistics? Is this true across all nationalities? Married men only live longer if their wives are good to them ;) So I’ve heard that the average life expectancy of a female is longer than a female. Where does this come into the question of a married man living longer.

Also, does it have to be official marriage? What about people in long term relationships that aren’t married?

8. Telling The Truth says:

they most certainly do and always will, especially when they have children too. i will certainly admit being alone for me really sucks, and i hope to find a good woman to share my life with which makes very much sense to me.